Once a person has become motivated to recover from chemical dependency and is willing to do the work necessary to make the change happen, there is a question of willingness versus willfulness in the process. Willingness is doing what is needed in each situation, in an unpretentious way. Perhaps the most valuable outcome of Willingness is Effectiveness.
- Remove all alcohol and drugs from the home
- Remove all alcohol and drug related paraphernalia from the home including wine glasses, lighters, pipes, papers, etc.
- Erase numbers of using friends, dealers, and associates from your phone
- Discontinue prescription refills
- Notify physicians not to prescribe narcotic medications
- Tell people that you have given up substances
- Actively tell people when you feel the impulse to use
- Stay away from bars and liquor stores