Mindfulness Based Relapse Prevention
At AToN Center we get to practice Mindfulness together in group and look at how it can be used in daily life and in high risk situations.
Mindfulness is moment-by-moment awareness of thoughts, feelings, bodily sensations, and surrounding environment, characterized mainly by “acceptance” – attention to thoughts and feelings without judging whether they are right or wrong. Mindfulness focuses the human brain on what is being sensed at each moment, instead of on its normal rumination on the past or on the future.
We practice the SOBER Breathing Space in group which can be used anywhere and at any time as it is brief and simple.
Here are the steps to SOBER Breathing Space
- S-Stop : pause wherever you are.
- O-Observe : what is happening in your body & mind?
- B-Breath : bring focus to the breath to help you focus and stay present.
- E-Expand awareness : to your whole body & surroundings.
- R-Respond : mindfully vs. automatically.
Kristin Colton CATC II
AToN Center 888-535-1516